Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What is Love ? This is My Husband's Answer

I have been married for 40 years and 9 months.  That is important to know because when I had been married 25 years and 8 months my husband wrote me a letter and told me about his love for me.  Love comes from God – which I am sure you know.  The vow we took on our wedding day was before God.  We knew God had brought us together and now, more than 40 years later, we constantly see God in our lives.  Please enjoy reading this love letter from husband to wife.  I hope my girls see how much their Father and Mother love them.  They are part of the love we had for each other. 

Julie
As I looked back over the last 25 years 8 month I realized that there are some things that I believed from that first time I took you for a ride in my car.
I believed from the time that I dropped you off at home that first night that my plans were being changed by something far greater than me.  In my plans marriage, or even thoughts of it, were at least 5 years into the future.
At that time I was not walking with the God that I had been exposed to and taught about for my entire life, yet that very God prompted me to ask you, after I had known you for only two weeks, to be my wife.  I had barely had enough time to learn your full name and I was preparing to ask you to spend the rest of your life with me.  When I was trying to make sense of what I was hearing, it was more than I could ever imagine.  I certainly wouldn’t want to spend the rest of my life with someone like me so how could I expect you to do it.  I asked in spite of my doubts because I was told to.
To my surprise, and I imagine to yours also, you said yes, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Another thing that I had always thought to be a lot of hooie was the idea of love at first sight.  God has shown me that there is such a thing.  It is not between a man and a woman where, at best, these may be interest at first sight.  The love between a man and a woman is a process that takes an entire lifetime.  True love at first sight exists only with God because he knew us before we were formed in our mother’s womb and loved us enough to sacrifice His Son for us.
The only other time that I am personally aware of love at first sight was when I first caught sight of my girls.  Yes, I know that they are our girls but at that moment they were my girls and the love at that first sight was mine.  You were having your own “love at first sight” experience. 
I just want you to know that this journey has been one that I wouldn’t have missed for anything.  I have a deeper love for you now than I could ever have imagined and I hope and pray that as we go through the next 25 years that as we grow closer to God, we will continue to grow closer in our love and commitment to each other.  You mean more to me than life itself and I love you!
If not for you, I wouldn’t be me.
Thank you!

I ask you, the reader, how could any wife not melt at the words in this letter, even more than 15 years after it was written?

2 comments:

  1. You, my dear, are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. He treats me like a Princess and there is never a doubt that he loves me. I am very blessed.

      Delete